Messaggio 16 dicembre 2005, 9:41

Peter I Dxpedition 3Y0X

PETER I DXpedition

3Y0X

STATUS REPORT and

SUMMARY

December 15, 2005

This summary was prepared by DXpedition co-leaders Ralph, K0IR and Bob, K4UEE in an effort to update our contributors, friends and the DX community on the status of our DXpedition.

Our ship and helicopter company is DAP. This company has been the premier source of air support to the Antarctic for the last 24 years. DAP has worked with The National Science Foundation, The International Association of Antarctic Tour Operators, private expeditions, and has been the leader in medical evacuation from the Antarctic. They have an excellent reputation; operate a fleet of fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft, and a research/supply vessel. We will use their ship and one of their helicopters.

DAP will fly us from Punta Arenas to their Antarctic base on King George Island on Feb. 2. The flight will be in a DeHavelin DASH-7, a four-engine turboprop that can carry up to 44 passengers. After a tour of the nearby bases, including Bellingshausen ( R1ANF ), we will board our ship and sail for Peter I the same day.

Peter I arrival is scheduled for approximately Feb. 6. Weather and ice will dictate when we actually land. Ice flows around the island are in constant flux and will dictate our approach to the island, distance the vessel must hold offshore, duration of helicopter flights.

Team Antarctic/Arctic experience:

K0IR -- Four previous Antarctic DX'peditons: VP8SSI/VP8CBA; 3Y0PI; VK0IR; VP8THU/VP8GEO.

K4UEE -- Two previous Antarctic DX'peditions. VK0IR and VP8THU/VP8GEO.

W0RUN '“ Two previous tours of duty with the South African Antarctic Expedition. One season included a full season in Antarctica.

F2JD -- Previous tours of duty with the French Arctic and Antarctic Expedition. Arctic and Antarctic experience. Involved with safety operations at the French base on Kerguelen.

LA6VM -- Extensive experience in Arctic and North Sea oil exploration. Very knowledgeable regarding safety, rigging, vessel inspection.

K3VN '“ Previous Antarctic tours with the National Science Foundation aboard the RV Hero.

Medical: Two Medical Doctors are on the team, K9SG and K0IR. K9SG will be the chief medical officer.

Ship and Flight Crew: The ship's captain and crew have Antarctic and ice experience. The helicopter pilots (2) have Antarctic flight experience (over 1000 hours) and are experienced in sling load operations. We have arranged for a helicopter mechanic and supervisor mechanic to add to the flight crew. The vessel will carry an extensive inventory of helicopter spare parts.

Helicopter: The helicopter is a Eurocopter BO-105. This is a twin turbine engine aircraft that is widely used in the Antarctic and for medical evacuation operations. The aircraft has complete redundancy of its hydraulic, electrical, and navigational systems. The aircraft can stay aloft with one engine out. It's useful load is 1000 KGm

Shelters: The team will utilize time-tested polar shelters (WeatherHaven). The same shelters have been used on Peter I and on Heard Island. For safety reasons, only the operating and mess shelters will be heated.

Advance planning: This has been very extensive from safety, landing, set-up, environmental issues, radio operation, camp issues, and waste management. The team has practiced putting up shelters, become familiar with its inventory of equipment, attended classroom lectures on safety, emergency medical procedures, and radio operations. Radio operators have been surveyed to assess their skill sets.

Permissions: Peter I lies in the Antarctic Treaty area. We have submitted our environmental and safety plan to the United States Environmental Protection Agency and received confirmation that we have met all their requirements. The U.S. State Department has indicated they have all the necessary documentation from us and have signed-off on our expedition. The National Science Foundation has approved our waste management plan and issued the expedition a Waste Management Permit. Norway has issued us an amateur radio license to operate from Peter I as 3Y0X. The ship, operated by DAP, has met the requirements of the Chilean Antarctic authority, INACH.

Expected weather conditions ashore: Temperatures will vary from a few degrees above to a few degrees below freezing. Winds can be substantial --- 70+ mph at times. Visibility can fall to 0/0. Occasional blowing and drifting snow accompanies winds.

To contend with low visibility situations, safety lines will run between camp structures, a buddy system will be in place, and members will always carry personal radios. K0IR spent 22 days on Peter I in 1994 and is very familiar with the island weather and conditions. Clear, quiet days are rare but absolutely fantastic.

Landing: The only safe and feasible landing is via helicopter. Our site will be on a very flat, safe plateau of approximately 1.5 by 2 miles square. The island is approximately 8 by 15 miles in size.

Personal Space: Crowded but adequate. Everyone has a cot. Everyone will supply their own sleeping bag, pad, and pillow case. There will be a common area for eating. Hot food and liquids will be available 24/7.

Personalities: To assure compatibility and 'team players,'
IZ0GRR Davide